Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I'm A Little Drunk on You and High on Summertime

Hello again dear readers,

I'm sitting here in my diningroom while waiting for one of my assignments to finish itself and the sun is shining through black storm clouds. Everything about tonight, besides the fact that it's about 5°C outside, is screaming summertime. Can it really just be April 10 today?
Time just seems to fly when you're busy. Speaking of being busy, how was your Easter long weekend? To tell you the truth, mine was a flurry of hours spent waitressing and then typing word after endless word. Two all-nighters and no social life later, my book is done! Well, almost done. I still have one more chapter (around 3000 more words) to write and then I'll actually be able to say that I wrote a novel.

I was kind of sad when I hit the 60,000 word mark. I couldn't help but think about what I'd do now that my work was done. I've been working on this book for years, I can't imagine what it will be like once I have it all done. And then I realized that I would be far from done. I'm planning on printing out the far-from-final draft to have it looked over by a carefully selected group of ten people who have all studied enough English literature to be able to pick apart my text and tell me every time something doesn't make quite enough sense.
In between each reading, I'll have to go back and fix the mistakes on my draft, take out the bits where all I do is ramble on and on and maybe add a little more rambling here and there. After that, well, I'm going to have to decide what I want to do with my finished novel. Do I want to get it published? Should I get it published?

Anyway, enough about work, I promised myself that I'd take a few days off after I almost went crazy pushing myself to get this book done over the long weekend. I was so exhausted that I fell asleep at seven thitry last night. Can you believe that: seven thirty! It's crazy!

Know what book I started today? Fear by Michael Grant. In case you don't know what it is, it's the fifth book in a series of sixth about a small community in California who suddenly finds that from one minute to the next, all of the adults and all teenagers above the age of fifteen are gone. Now, all of the kids have to learn how to live together and how to survives. The other books are Gone, Hunger, Lies and Plague. If you haven't read them yet, I suggest that you do. I started the book this morning and I've already read through almost a hundred pages. I can read a lot faster than I write, although writing over 100 pages in a weekend is a pretty impressive feat, too.

So, you must all be wondering, "Hey, what's up with this post's title?" Well, to be honest, living in a small country town has really gotten to me lately. I can't believe that I'm actually going to say this, but... I actually like a few country songs. Gah! I can't believe I said that on the internet! What will people think of me now? It's true, however. I actually am finding myself listening to more and more country music. I have a few favorites, but this song here I'd actually only heard on the radio. And then, today, something magical happened. I was browsing on Tumblr (yes, I am a total Tumblr junkie) and this blog I follow posted a picture with the lyrics that I posted as a title. Well, I decided that I needed a new song to listen to after having Fallout by Marianas Trench on repeat all weekend. I looked the song up on YouTube, and guess what! It was that same song that I always turned the volume up for! It was just like a miracle.

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50hUbuA54Mc

Well, it was nice to know that someone is actually reading this. If I haven't bored you to sleep, please check back again next week for an all-new post.

xoxox
Di

No comments:

Post a Comment