Monday, April 2, 2012

Introduction

Hi,

As I've heard many times before, in order to draw a reader in, an author should start with something called a hook to get the reader interested in the story before rambling on about the main character and their life. Unfortunately, I can't prognosticate, which means that you're going to be stuck listening to the minor details about my life before we actually get to our climax. This is mostly due to the fact that I'm still young and I can tell you right now that I am far from reaching the high point in my life. That being said, here we go: welcome to my life.

So, as you've probably read in my blog description and in my 'About Me' section thing there on the right, my name is Diana Knight. I'm a prospective commercial fiction writer hoping to get published. I've been working on my novel for quite some time now and I think that this time around I'll actually stop procrastinating and actually get it done. It's sitting at 40,226 words right now (if we're going to be specific), but it's outlined for an additional 21,087 words (I like being specific) (I also like parenthetical references, just not in my novels) so I'm aiming at a final draft of somewhere between 60,000 and 61,000 words.

Enough about my book, though. I'm sure you'd love to hear me about me. I'm still a student working a boring job at horrible hours to hopefully survive in the cruel world. I work part time as a waitress in a retirement home serving meals to senior citizens and getting to hear old war stories. When I'm not at work or at school, I'm usually working on my personal writing or watching hockey. By the way, the Pittsburgh Penguins? Yeah, they're totally winning the Stanley Cup this year. I'm a vegetarian, and I have been for almost two years now. I can give you a dozen different ways to cut and cook a carrot if you want. I love sports; I work out on a regular basis and I run 80m hurdle sprints.

If I had to pick my one thing that I own that is my favorite, I doubt that I'd be able to chose between my MacBook Pro, my iPhone or my autographed Marc-André Fleury jersey. I don't know what I'd do without any of them. My MacBook has all my written work, my iPhone has all my contact and everyone that I need to stay in touch with, and my jersey, well, it's my jersey and my great proof of team pride and unity. I just couldn't be without it.

What do I write about? Well, from my experiences in my creative writing classes, I have discovered that I actually have a very sinister mind and that I love to write things in which people get hurt and tortured and killed. Now, don't let that turn you off. I actually make it sound interesting, and the people that have read my book (aged 12-40) have all finished it in a matter of days because they all said that they were unable to put it down. I keep you in suspense and make sure that you keep turning page after page. Want an example? Here's an excerpt from my first novel, Promise.


"And then there was the pain. Pain, which radiated through my body with every breath. Pain so bad that it made me grind my teeth to keep from screaming. It felt like a knife, plunging into my chest with every inhalation. Pain, coming from the rest of my limbs, with every shudder that came with every painful breath. The pain; it was encompassing. 

I’d never thought about my death; it was just simply not something we think of at age sixteen, when we have our lives ahead of us in full. No one expects to face death when they were sixteen. At sixteen, we’re are invincible; nothing will happen to us, because we’re supposed to live long into the future. Now, having been forced to face my death, I had a whole new appreciation for life. Every moment, every breath, no matter how painful, was a gift, and not a given right." (Copyright © 2012 by Diana Knight)

I told you that I make it sound interesting, didn't I? So, welcome to my space, I hope you enjoy it. I'll try to post as often as I can, when I'm not too busy with homework and my own personal work. Keep checking in, and if you find that I don't post enough, check out my Twitter account (@DianaK_books) and give me a follow, I might just follow back. Thanks for reading!

xoxox
Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment