Thursday, August 23, 2012

24/28

That's right, ladies and gentlemen; I'm almost done! For those of you who are too new to my website to understand the title, or for those of you who need a little reminder, Treason was broken down into twenty-eight different parts. Each part was worth about two thousand words, and each part had a deadline (that I sucked at following). Today, I just finished the twenty-third card, and it'll all downhill from here. Not in a bad way, though. Has anyone ever seen a plot graph?

This is a plot graph. It literally is a graph that outlines the plot of a story. In the bottom corner on the left, we have the introduction. That's basically self explanatory; it's where you introduce your characters and what the story is going to be about. After that, the story starts to climb during the rising action. During the rising action, you start to see your plot develop, all of your ideas start to come together, and you start to introduce the main conflict (the main problem or enemy that your characters will have to battle). After that comes the climax. The climax is the highest point of your story. It's when everything comes together for you and when everything falls apart for your characters. It's the pivotal point in your story. Everything that has happened so far had lead up to this. After the climax, you get the quick and rapid fall downhill during your falling action. This is what happens to your characters after the climax; it's how they deal with everything that has happened to them, and how they go back to their normal lives. And then finally, with a deep exhalation, a deep sigh of relief, you reach your resolution. The problem is solved, the war is over, and everyone is happy. For the moment.

Card number twenty-three sat right on the edge of the cliff, that tiny little ledge before the falling action. Card number twenty-eight waits for me at the very bottom of the hill. Cards number twenty-four, twenty-five, twenty-six, and twenty-seven all line the bank of that hill. They are the cards that are going to wrap everything up.

What's going to happen after that? Well, Treason will be printed out onto paper, put into a binder and passed around between ten people who are going to pick the story apart word for word. They're going to write out exactly what needs to be changed, what needs to be longer, what needs to be shorter, what needs to be removed. That will take six months, and during that six months, I won't see a word of Treason. The file will be stored away, the hard copy kept out of my hands, and then after the six months - during which I'll be writing the third instalment of the PTSD series - I'll go back, read all of the comments that people have made in regards to my first draft, and I'll correct it. I'll change what I think needs to be changed, I'll add things were things need to be added, move some chapters around, delete entire chapters, and then some day soon, it'll be done.

It's what I'm doing right now with Promise. I haven't seen my first novel since April. In a month, I'll be able to take my hard copy back and do some editing. If I get my way, Promise will be ready for Christmas. I'll print out the book one last time, pass it around some more, make sure that every little detail is perfect, and then I'll start looking for someone who agrees, someone with influence who agrees, that is. Query letters for Promise and for the entire PTSD novels will be sent out in the new year, once Promise is done, Treason is in it's second or third draft, Sacrifice is drafted, and Death is outlined. 

It sounds like a lot of work, and, trust me, it is, but someday it'll be worth it. When you can all walk into a book store and pick up a copy of Promise, it'll be worth it. When I see my first novel bound into a hard cover with my name on the spine, it'll be worth it.

I wish you all the best, and I hope that you continue to enjoy the rest of your summer! It's almost over! Can you believe it? I know I can't.

Love you all,
Diana

This week's song is Good Time by Owl City feat. Carley Rae Jepsen. Have a listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment